Visionary leaders recognized the extraordinary features of the Smoky Mountains and championed the movement to create Great Smoky Mountains National Park in 1934. Today, Friends of the Smokies honors the distinguished group of donors who, year after year, help protect, preserve, and enhance this national treasure that belongs to us all.
We invite you to join today!
How can I be part of the 1934 Society?
Friends of the Smokies makes it easy, offering a variety of ways to give. Gifts of $1,000 or more given on an annual basis qualify you to join the 1934 Society and enjoy its benefits.
Can I designate my gift to a Park need?
Of course! While undesignated annual gifts can be used anywhere they’re needed most, we can honor your wish to direct your annual fund contribution to the following program areas
- Wildlife, Wonders & Wilderness: Provide support for wildlife management, defend against invasive insects, and sustain cutting-edge research.
- Environmental Education: Strengthen programs like Parks As Classrooms, Junior Ranger, and Teachers-in-Parks providing hands-on environmental education.
- Protect Historic Places: Restore hiking trails through Trails Forever and protect historic structures and artifacts.
- Improve Visitor Experience: Create a lifetime of memories in a safe, welcoming national park.
Friends of Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the park’s primary fundraising partner each year, elevating improvement and education projects well beyond what the park would otherwise be able to do. The 1934 Society continues a legacy of stewardship and philanthropy. We hope you will consider joining many other park benefactors in supporting our work through a gift to our annual fund. Membership in The 1934 Society is extended to those making cumulative direct donations totaling $1,000 or more unrelated to special events tickets/purchases or endowments.
$1,000+ Mount Cammerer Level
• Exclusive 1934 Society Members’ appreciation gift
• Recognition in annual report
• Name listed as society member on website
• Name listing in 1934 Society annual publication
• Invitation for two to Annual Fireside Chat with Superintendent Cash (exclusive Society event)
• Includes all of the benefits of regular membership, with personalized cards and associated discounts
$1,934+ Mount Collins Level
• All benefits of Mount Cammerer Level, plus
• Friends of the Smokies staff member will give a presentation about Great Smoky Mountains National Park to your civic club or church group (upon mutually convenient date)
$2,500+ Mount Chapman Level
• All benefits of Mount Collins Level, plus
• Name & photo in 1934 Society annual publication
$5,000+ Mount Sterling Level
• All benefits of Mount Chapman Level, plus
• Listing on Friends of the Smokies’ donor wall at Sugarlands Visitors Center
$10,000+ Mount Kephart Level
• All benefits of Mount Sterling Level, plus
• Profile in 1934 Society annual publication
• Invitation for two to dine with Friends of the Smokies Board of Directors & Staff once a year
$25,000+ Mount Le Conte Level
• All benefits of Mount Kephart Level, plus
• Go behind-the-scenes with a ranger or Park-selected V.I.P. and FOTS staff member (Programming examples include: Spend a day at the Collections Preservation Center; learn all about the hemlock treatment program; get an in-depth look at Trails Forever; search for salamanders & learn about Park wildlife)
There is strength in numbers- many gifts add up to an important source of unrestricted funds that ensure Friends of the Smokies will remain a strong partner for Great Smoky Mountains National Park for decades to come. The society’s name hearkens back to the establishment of Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the community leaders who stood together in their vision of a strong, healthy destination beloved by millions of visitors each year.
1934 Society Members (through 5/1/19)
Friends of the Smokies’ Charter Members are listed in bold.
Mount Le Conte Level ($25,000+)
Mr. and Mrs. John M. Clayton
Mr. Edward R. Fleming
Mr. and Mrs. James M. Hart
Mr. and Mrs. James A. Haslam, II
Mrs. Norma K. Holmes
Dr. and Mrs. Steve Rhodes
Mount Kephart Level ($10,000+)
Mr. Robert W. Baggett
Mr. and Mrs. Sidney A. Blalock
Mr. and Mrs. Randal D. Boyd
Mrs. Annie H. Colquitt and Mr. David Colquitt
Mr. and Mrs. Autry O. DeBusk
Mr. Warren C. Dusenbury – From the Warren and Zoann Little Dusenberry Charitable Trust
Mr. Robert W. Hutson
Mr. and Mrs. Rodney Lawler
Mrs. Wynne Odell – From the Warren and Zoann Little Dusenberry Charitable Trust
Mr. James D. Ogle
Dr. Joe Pryse and Mrs. Sharon Miller Pryse
Mr. and Mrs. Fred J. Stanback
Mr. and Mrs. William B. Stokely, III
Mount Sterling Level ($5,000+)
Mr. and Mrs. Kevin Anton
Mr. and Mrs. Don Backys
Mr. and Mrs. Adrian Bailey
Ms. Jessica Bartell
Mr. and Mrs. James D. Blalock
Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey Bounds
Mr. and Mrs. Bill L. Cobble
Ms. Susan K. Cooper
Mike and Cindy Corn
Dr. E. Brown Crosby
Dr. Melle Dalton
Margaret Helton and Terry Noah
Mr. and Mrs. Keith Holdbrooks
Dr. John Hoskins and Mrs. Laura Webb
Mr. and Mrs. Dale Keasling
Dr. Paul Kent
Ms. Julie Anne Morton
Ms. Linda N. Ogle
Mr. and Mrs. Rich Pettus
Mr. and Mrs. W.T. Phillips, Sr.
The Honorable and Mrs. Gary R. Wade
Mr. and Mrs. Geoffrey A. Wolpert
Mr. and Mrs. Earl S. Worsham
Mount Chapman Level ($2,500+)
Mrs. Cathy Ackermann and Mr. Tommy Walker
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph A. Baker
Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Blanton, Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. William H. Christensen
Ms. J. Kay Clayton
Ms. Elizabeth Dodds
Mr. and Mrs. Carl R. Falk
Mr. and Mrs. Phillip E. Fulmer
Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Handly
Ms. Audrine Honey
Mrs. Mary Paddison James
Ms. Debora A. Lassiter
Mr. and Mrs. Michael J. LeCompte
David and Sandy Martin
Mr. and Mrs. Jack L. Miller, Jr.
Dr. and Mrs. John R. Ray
Mr. and Mrs. Lee R. Squires, Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. Harry W. Stowers, Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. Ronnie L. Wheeler
Ms. Dorothy White
Mount Collins Level ($1,934+)
Mr. and Mr. Frank M. Addicks
Jerry and Nancy Daves
Mr. and Mrs. Jon R. Lawler
Ms. Ann Lindsay
Dr. and Mrs. Robert R. Madigan
Rev. Dr. and Mrs. Daniel P. Matthews
Mr. and Mrs. Joe Phillips
Dr. and Mrs. Robert E. Powell
Ms. Elizabeth W. Reeves
Mr. and Mrs. Ed Sorenson
Mrs. Kay B. Stueve
Ms. Margaret A. Turner
Mr. and Mrs. Harry T. Valentine
Elizabeth Watts and Jill Stevens
Mr. David V. White
Mr. Jack Woodall and Mrs. Sharon E. Boyce
Mount Cammerer Level ($1,000+)
Ms. Wanda B. Anderson
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Beckwith
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas J. Benton
Mrs. Danielle Bernstein
Ms. Carrie Bond
Mr. and Mrs. Richard Botto
Mr. Harold E. Brock, Jr.
Dan and Kathy Brooks
Mr. Michael S. Brown and Ms. Betty S. Evans
Mr. and Mrs. A.C. Buchanan, III
Mr. and Mrs. Ben Burns
Mr. and Mrs. William H. Christensen
Mr. Kevin Click
Dr. and Mrs. Robert H. Collier, Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. Tom Coulter
Ms. Christine Cutting
Dr. and Mrs. Steven C. Dronen
Dr. & Mrs. Bill Dwyer
Mr. and Mrs. Lamar Eberhardt
Mr. and Mrs. Roger Fender
Mr. Ted L. Flickinger and Mrs. Julie Howard
Mrs. Carolyn Forster
Mr. and Mrs. Sam FurrowMs. Sandra E. Gates
Mr. James A. GerdingMr. and Mrs. Stephen Grant
Mr. William E. Harmon
Governor and Mrs. William E. HaslamDr. and Mrs. Joseph E. Johnson
Seth and Sally Judd
Mr. and Mrs. Matt Kaye
Ms. Emily B. Kile
Mr. and Mrs. Daniel R. King
Kevin and Carolyn Kirkland
Mr. Franklyn Kraus
Mr. and Mrs. Robert F. Lash, Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. John W. Mason
Dr. and Mrs. Fred McLean
Mr. and Mrs. Charles McNutt
Mr. and Mrs. Jack L. Miller, Jr.
Dr. and Mrs. William J. Minteer
Ms. Karen Morris
Dr. Elise M. Morvant
Mrs. Charlotte C. Musgraves
Ms. Sydney O’Donald
Mr. Larry Pearce
Dr. Bradley L. Pearman and Dr. Cynthia M. Pearman
Jim and Dorothy Petrone
Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Phillips
Chase and Clary Pickering
Chuck and Dini Pickering
Mr. Randall PopeMr. and Mrs. Steve E. Reynolds
Mr. and Mrs. James M. Rodebaugh
Mr. William Rose
Mr. and Mrs. John R.E. Ruhl
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Ryall
Mrs. Robert H. Schriver, Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. James Q. Sidwell, Jr.
Michael and Gigi Simonis
Mr. and Mrs. Ed Sims
Mr. James Forest Smith, Jr.Mr. Brian Sohn
Mr. and Mrs. Daniel L. Starnes
Mr. and Mrs. Wyatt Stevens
Ms. Amy C. Styles
Mr. John Z.C. Thomas
Mr. and Mrs. Robert J. Underwood
Mr. Glenn W. Wilcox, Sr.
Mr. and Mrs. Jack E. Williams
Mr. Marc Williams
Ken and Debbie Wilson
1934 Society members have given cumulative direct donations totaling $1,000 or more unrelated to special events tickets/purchases or endowments